My Baby is Above Average

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Okay- so the title of this blog sounds really conceited. Let me tell you why my baby is above average.



1. She throws up more than the average baby- or so I am told. Yesterday was the first day I can remember Hadley getting through the day is ONE outfit! Usually it is three. I think that she is such a piggie that she gulps it all down too fast and then up it comes. And I think she overeats sometimes. Seriously, she is the noisest eater. She eats like I starve her!

2. She needs more diaper changes than other babies. This is my way of sparing you the icky details. I guess this could be a result of all that she eats?

3. She is more needy than the average baby. Okay, so she is my first child, but I have grown up around LOTS of babies. I was kind of offended at first when Chris would call her fussy. This was soon after we brought her home from the hospital. I guess I took it personally. But, turns out, she is quite fussy! While other babies are full of smiles at this stage, Hadley, we will put it like this...is not. (But we get them sometimes).

Okay. So those are in no way complaints. This is just Hadley. On the upside- here are some things we have been doing lately that she enjoys.
We have been to the community pool here in the neighborhood where we are staying in Houston. We go a few times a week. Hadley usually sleeps for a little while in her carseat in the shade. Then when she wakes up she gets fed and comes in the pool. I do have a suit for her, but the one that fits right now (thanks Erin and Keiya) is in Lubbock. So she wears a long-sleeved onesie to keep her more covered from the sun. And FYI- the picture was taken and then I promptly put on her hat. I keep her pretty covered from the sun.

We go on walks sometimes towards the evenings when it is not deathly hot here. She likes to sit in the stroller (or slump) and she often falls asleep.
Once in a while I take a nap with her. I haven't though since the other day when she woke me up kicking me, happily, and I realized we were both covered in poo.

But, I have to get back to real life so we head out on Monday to return to Lubbock. Chris will follow two and a half weeks later. This means that I have to drive to Lubbock from Houston by myself with the baby. I plan on stopping in Ft. Worth for a day and 2 nights. If you have any tips for driving long distances alone with a baby please leave me a comment! Even here in town she gets upset after just driving for about 10-15 minutes.

8 comments:

The Jessups said...

Ooooh the spit up and diapers sound JUST like Stone. He spit up more than any baby I know. And, unfortunately, it lasted clear until he began eating foods. I think it was then that he finally made it through one onesie in a day! Hopefully Hadly overcomes it quicker than Stone! Is she at least okay with it? Stone was, which made it bareable (as opposed to them having acid reflux). He was happy as can be, it didn't bother him, just me!

Marissa said...

good luck on the drive..i drove from austin by myself and it wasn't as bad as i was expecting! i feel like ava spits up a lot too and goes through the diapers...i cant wait to see you guys..im headed home today!! i hope you have had fun in houston

sam and brittney said...

Good luck with the drive! Excited to see you guys!

Ashley said...

This is SUCH a funny post. :) I can't believe you woke up from a nap and you were both covered in POO!!! Good luck with your drive, I definitely would have a hard time doing that myself so I don't have any great tips except to stop often. We need to talk soon! I miss you!

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the drive. If I think my kids will be fussy on a long trip when they are little I will give them a little Tylenol so they get some good nap time. It helps if they tend to get car sick. I also used to use a mirror made for the backseat so you can keep and eye on her. Hope that helps! She is super cute!

Kat Curtis said...

Ear plugs. And baby benzos. Just kidding. :) I'm glad you're coming back so soon!! Hooray!! Good luck with the drive up. Hadley is darling too - even for an above-average baby. :)

Ginny said...

Drive safely! Thanks for the cute picture of Hadley! Get yourself some treats for the drive. Diet Coke works for me. What keeps you happy?

Anonymous said...

It has been quite awhile since I have checked the blogs. We look forward to meeting this "above average" grandchild!